Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Soup’s On!



The weather is getting cool and crisp and I’ve been fighting my first cold of the season…and craving Jamie Oliver’s sweet potato and chorizo soup. This soup recipe is a favorite in our house and has been since I first made it during my Food Revolution. It is made with my favorite food on the planet, sweet potatoes, and the spicy chorizo sausage is great for clearing out your sinuses when you are sick. Since then I’ve made it so many times and have even included it in some of my cooking classes.  Our second challenge this month was to share a recipe that you like to make for specialty diets.  I had so many great ideas for this ( I love spaghetti squash as pasta for example) but once I was sick this is the recipe that kept coming to mind for this challenge. Creamy soups in the fall are the best but my kids and I can be a bit sensitive to dairy. This recipe is great because it is dairy free but tastes so creamy after you’ve blended it. Enjoy!


Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup
From Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution
Ingredients
1 3/4 quarts chicken stock 
olive oil
2 large carrots, peeled
2 celery stalks, sliced evenly
2 medium onions, peeled and rough chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and rough chopped
7 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced
small bunch fresh parsley, fine chopped
1 heaped teaspoon Madras curry powder
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 fresh red chile, fine diced (This is just for garnish at the end, I bought very spicy sausage so I actually topped mine with either plain yogurt or grated cheddar and also some nutmeg)

Bring the stock to boil in a saucepan. Let it simmer on the back burner.
Bring a large pot to medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil. Put all the chopped and sliced foods (all the veggies and the chorizo) into the hot oil. Add the curry powder and mix it all up.
Cook until the carrots have softened but are not falling apart and the onions have turned a little golden, about 10 minutes.
Pour in the hot stock. Give the soup a stir and let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the sweet potato is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Season the soup with salt and pepper. Stir. Taste. Season it to your taste.
Blend the soup with an immersion blender (easiest) or by pouring it into a large blender or food processor. This part is very important and totally "makes" the soup!
Jamie says top with diced chile and serve but I used some plain yogurt and nutmeg.




No comments:

Post a Comment